Welcome to This American Plate
This American Plate is a lifestyle blog focusing on everything related to food, including recipes, dining experience reviews, dinner tablescapes, and vegetable and herb gardening. I’m glad to have you here, so please take your time. There’s no need to rush. 🙂 Be sure to follow This American Plate on Facebook, Instagram and Feedly.
- January 1, 2015Happy First Day of 2015! I signed up Click It Up A Notch’s Project 365, a group activity to practice and share our photography everyday for a year (or once a week if you participate in Project 52). I’m excited, and here are some of my first photos of the year. Citrus fruit is great all during the year, but the one orange you can get that actually is ready for harvest in Winter is the Satsuma Orange. Also known as the Christmas Orange, it’s a part of the mandarin orange family. They are both sweet and tart. Quick Recipe – Citrus Ade I like ... Read more »
- December 28, 2014My mom likes delicious, but simple pound cakes and nut cakes. So I wasn’t surprised when she asked if I would make her a lemon pound cake during the Christmas holiday. Baking is what I love to do most, so I was excited to bake it just for her. This lemon pound cake is delicious, moist and very fragrant. It was baked after everyone left our big family Christmas seafood dinner, and the kitchen smelled wonderful as it baked. The true test of the cake’s yumminess came when my little brother kept staring through the oven window, and grabbed a plate from the counter top ... Read more »
- December 20, 2014I have a small kitchen, so 1) I don’t have the luxury of lots of counter space, and 2) I seldom have the patience for recipes that require lots of time for prep. I’m also not a fan of needing to purchase lots of special ingredients that are unlikely to ever be used again. Basically I like to dump stuff into one pot and have something tasty once the whole process is done. I cooked my chunky veggie soup (stew) in a slow cooker and accidentally (I fell asleep) left it on low all night long so I ended up with ... Read more »
- December 19, 2014Between the movie theater, TV and NetFlix, I’ve seen my share of movies about personal growth, love, family, and food. I love it when I find movies from many cultures that combine all four of these elements beautifully and with attention to the details of the food. There are many movies that do this like Soul Food, Ratatouille, and even movies where food is beautifully photographed or prepared even briefly like Mother of George. However, these didn’t make my faves list. Anyone who knows me knows that it’s hard for me to pick a favorite movie, but the five below are ... Read more »
- December 15, 2014It’s the holiday season, and many people (including me) are looking for great holiday gifts to give to our family and friends. I have family members who have a wide-range of interests including cooking, dining out, and trying regional foods. During my Christmas gift research, I pinned several great items that the people in my life may appreciate. Hopefully, a few of the items on my 7 Holiday Gifts for Foodies list are good gift ideas for the people in your life too. Sources Acacia Wood Cookbook Holder | Target Michel Bras Grater Set | Williams – Sonoma Nuñez de Prado Extra Virgin Olive Oil | ... Read more »