Welcome to This American Plate
This American Plate is a lifestyle blog focusing on everything related to food, including recipes, dining experience reviews, dinner tablescapes, and vegetable and herb gardening. I’m glad to have you here, so please take your time. There’s no need to rush. 🙂 Be sure to follow This American Plate on Facebook, Instagram and Feedly.
- January 10, 2015I’m no longer a teenager (sigh), but I’m still a fan of Marvel Comics. My favorites are Wolverine, Mystique, Magneto and Gambit. For my birthday, I received a She-Hulk comic book, and I’ve just gotten around to reading it. My first impression — She-Hulk, where have you been all my life? She’s pretty awesome! From the looks of it, she appreciates quick and delicious Chinese takeout and a good drink. I’ve wondered just what would Jen Walters eat? Vegetable Lo Mein? Beef and Broccoli? Chicken with Hot Bean Sauce? Who knows, but I know where my favorite takeout is for sure. My Favorite Chinese Take-Out: China Palace, ... Read more »
- January 9, 2015Project 365 Photography Challenge – #9 Most people who know me well know that there’s one snack that I like A WHOLE LOT. It’s popcorn. It started from childhood when my first memories of popcorn are of me asking my mom for those Jiffy Pop pie pan packs of popcorn to cook on the stove. My late grandmother would always have a bag of popping corn when I would spend weekends with her in spring and summer. She would pop some corn on her gas stove in a large pot as I stood watching her every move, pour it into a ... Read more »
- January 8, 2015I really enjoying baking and seeing people enjoy my cakes, pies, bars and other sweet treats. One of my guilty pleasures is admiring (and sometimes) purchasing cake plates. They are totally unnecessary, but they do help the presentation. I don’t know what it is, but cake plates and stands seem to make the worst cake look so much better. Today’s Photo My photo for today is a picture of a recent cake plate purchase that I made from Marshall’s clearance rack for $5. Yes, $5 dollars. 🙂 It’s on the small side, but fits a 6-inch cutesy cake just perfectly. There are so many cake plates ... Read more »
- January 8, 2015I really enjoy Italian food, particularly Italian Sausage with orecchiette pasta and broccolini. However, I know it’s a dish that I can only have in moderation (read: maybe once or twice per year). I’m working toward a healthier lifestyle, and I’m trying to make better choices. Fortunately, you can still have Italian food that’s still flavor without all of the fat and empty calories. Then enters my recipe for Italian chicken sausage with broccolini and penne rigate. Read more »
- January 7, 2015Project 365 Photography Challenge – #7 Today, a friend and I had lunch at Cala Vela, an empanada and tequila bar. Yes, we had empanadas. No we didn’t have tequila. 🙂 I’ll post a review of the restaurant soon, but here’s my pic of my entrada (starter) — elote (pronounced A-low-tee), Mexican corn on the cob typically served on a stick or with the corn husk pulled back to form a handle to help grasp the corn while eating. It’s a popular street food in Mexico, and I’ve seen it on television. Today I got my chance to taste it for myself. Elote is usually ... Read more »